Tips for Better Hearing During the Holidays
With the holidays quickly approaching, a common occurrence for those with hearing loss may become more obvious—communication difficulties. Hearing loss can make it more difficult to hear the conversation and effectively communicate with family and friends over the chatter at the dinner table or via phone and video calls. If you have been spending a lot of time social distancing, this issue may become even more apparent.
You deserve to hear the conversation this season. Follow these tips to hear better and reconnect with those you love.
Tips to Hear Better
- Face the speaker directly. When you are talking to someone be sure to face them directly so you can see their face. Reading their facial expressions and body language will put what they are saying into context and help you to better understand the conversation. This may mean engaging in a video chat instead of a phone call.
- Ask for a heads up. Let everyone know that it is easier for you if they say your name or get your attention before talking. This way you will know when someone is talking to you and won't miss anything.
- Turn the background noise down. If possible, ask the host to turn down the volume on the TV or the music playing. Reducing background noise will help you to focus on the conversation. Studies have proven that it is easier for individuals with hearing loss to hear when there is limited background noise.
- Repeat information back. When you have hearing loss, many words and sounds sound alike. If you are unsure of what was said, ask the speaker to repeat themselves. It's better to ask someone to repeat themselves rather than get the information wrong.
- Wear your hearing aids. Wearing your hearing aids will help you to hear better, even with background noise present. Many hearing aids today are specifically designed to help you hear better in background noise.
How Hearing Aids Can Help
Today's hearing aids are incredibly advanced and feature smart technology. Hearing aids can now automatically adjust to sound in your environment, so you don't have to. They can also filter between background noise and the person talking to you, providing you with an easier listening experience. Wearing hearing aids helps you to better understand the conversation and never miss a word.
With all the commotion of the holiday season quickly approaching, you don’t want to miss a sound. You deserve to hear the voices of your loved ones and enjoy the holiday season. Call us today and make an appointment to discuss new hearing aid technology. We can go over options for new hearing aids and help you find a device that will make your listening experience easier.